Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 20:45:32 +0000
From:      bill clarke <wlclarke@cats.ucsc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux-emu/netscape-v202

dear freeBSD

i am running FBSD 2.1R and have installed the 2.2 SNAP linux_lib
(including libm.so.5.0.0 and libc.5.0.9; netscape v202
 seems to want libm.so.4.6.27 and libc.so.4.7.27)

after recompiling my kernel with the COMPAT_LINUX switch and loading
linux_mod.o (with an approropriate script in rc.i386),

(i even put a line in my /etc/profile as follows:
RESOLV_HOST_CONF=/compat/linux/etc/host.conf ; export RESOLV_HOST_CONF
and put my hosts file into /compat/linux/etc/hosts)

well, (linux) netscape comes up, even the JAVA console comes up.

i can browse my home page on my own server (slow), but when i fire up
user PPP and try to browse the outside world here's what happens:
(i get the messages on my xterm)

/kernel:Linux-emul(201): syslog() not supported (BSD sigreturn)

resolv+: "bind"  is an invalid keyword
resolv+: "hosts" is an invalid keyword

and on tty0 where i logged into my PPP gateway i get many instances of

Linux-emul(201): syslog() not supported (BSD sigreturn)

(message repeats 835 times)

all help is appreciated

 -neutron