Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:35:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Jim C <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: httpd pid

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Jim C wrote:

> You apparently are having a configuration file problem.  Your apache is
> looking for /usr/local/etc/local/etc/httpd.conf

What's strange about this is that it does read from the file
httpd.conf.  If I change the parameters in that file to something
incorrect, for example if I give it the wrong path to the modules, I get
an error message when I run 'apachectl start'.  So, it is reading from
that file, yet in the error log it claims to be unable to find it.

> To fix this, you probably want to recompile your copy of apache but this
> time in the ./configure line use something like this in the parameters of
> the configure command:
>
> ./configure --syconfdir=/usr/local/etc
>
> In fact, if you didn't use any parameters for apache you may want to do a
>
> ./configure --help

Wait a minute, there was nothing about ./configure when I installed
it.  At what point am I supposed to do that?