Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 03:03:17 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: thickwisre<->thinwire

> I'm doing a bit of computer re-arrangement (keeps my life interesting) and
> I find I have to connect another computer to my existing home ethernet.
> Trouble is, the ethernet is thinwire, and the new computer (a DECStation
> 5000/120, which will be running NetBSD) is thickwire.  I'm going to be
> connecting it to my two existing FreeBSD boxes.

It's not "thickwire" as such; the Decstations have AUI connectors to
which you can attach a thinwire transciever.

> Does anyone know where I could go to get a thickwire to thinwire
> converter?  I've not had any luck searching it out yet.

A 10b2 transciever shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks; if you
were closer I'd give you a freebie (we have a boxful of them here).
With any luck you should be able to find one at a decent surplus outlet.

You're looking for a small box about the size of a large box of matches
(though some are much larger) with a D15 on one end and a BNC on the
other.  Note that you may need a cable for it, depending on size and
the amount of free space you have behind your DS.

mike