Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:41:08 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        Greg Robinson <greg@rosevale.com.au>
Cc:        John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>, "Jason R . Mastaler" <jason-dated-999134568.3c3c6f@mastaler.com>, Greg Robinson <greg@rosevale.com.au>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 4.1.0 font problem.

On 2001.08.21 21:40 Greg Robinson wrote:
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]

> 4.77

> > > I'm having the same problem after upgrading from XFree86-3.

> > > Similarily, I'm using the nv driver with a Diamond Viper 770 card.
> > > However, I have the same problem on Linux as well, so it's
> probably a
> > > general XFree86 issue.

> > > 4.3-RELEASE.
> > >
> > > --
> > > (TMDA - http://tmda.sourceforge.net)
> > >  (SPAM reduction for qmail systems)
> > >

> > I'm also running a Diamond Viper 770 (mine's an Ultra).  I had
> similar
> > problems with font readability until I discovered that the problem
> (at
> > least for me) was the DPI X was reporting for my monitor.  I have a
> 19"
> > LG 995E running at 1280x1024.  X was reporting 72dpi, but the Gimp
> > configuration dialog was reporting about 102dpi.  Passing -dpi 102
> > the X server helped big time.
>
> Well, this is interesting.  I have the exact same monitor.  Heavy
> arn't
> they? :-)
>
> My resolution is currently set to:
>
> 	dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (374x271 millimeters)
> 	resolution:    87x96 dots per inch
>
> I have had limited success with TrueType fonts after another marathon
> session last night.  I shall try your suggestion as well.
>
> Can you try a particular web page for me?
>
> 	http://www.whitepages.com.au/
>
> And do a reload.  The font's for me just turn really bad.  As per this
> screen capture:
>
> 	http://www.rosevale.com.au/~greg/pics/fonts.gif
>
> You can see why I'm perplexed...
>
> Thankx,
>
> Greg.

Yes, the 995E develops strong arms.  Great monitor though.  Note, DPI
based on maximum screen dimensions will be on the low side--particularly
if you have a reasonable margin around the image.  My calculation is
based on the actual screen image.  YMMV.

Yes, that GIF if "fugly."  On the intial load of the web page, the font
in the tabs looks just like that (but NOT the font on the side).
Reloading clears things right up.  It's usable and legible after a
reload.  I'm using Mozilla from ports.

jmc