Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:45:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        j_mini@efn.org
Cc:        ahd@kew.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

> What I'm saying is that my hostname doesn't have a DNS entry in
> the "outside world" and therefore sending a message from my machine
> is automatically an invalid host. THe only real option I have is
> to spoof the information that sendmail sends out, ask my ISP for
> a addressless DNS entry (make a DNS entry that has no A entry) or
> change my hostname to something valid.

> Although pictures of naming myself cyberpromo.com for a week come
> to mind, I don't think "stealing" someone else's host name is a
> very valid solution. I would persue getting a DNS entry from my
> ISP, except that I have more than one ISP. (makes life harder,
> although still theoretially possible. All I need is one valid
> hostname I can pretend I am) I'd do that -- except that I am going
> to be moving into student housing in about a month or so, and will
> actually have a public IP address and DNS entry for my machine on
> that network, and (knowing my ISP's) it would probably take a month
> to get that DNS entry, it's kinda of pointless.

> I'm just a little annoyed at people who insist of having the sending
> machine call itself a valid hostname, just to cut down on spam.

I have no real domain, but the following is enough to get my mail
through ... and allow people to respond to me.

I really don't exactly understand what everyone is talking about ...
but I hope it doesn't break my mailing capabilities.  :-)

VERSIONID(`$Id: watcher.mc,v 1.4 1997/04/11 09:26:43 root Exp $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
DOMAIN(watcher.isl.net)dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl