Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:06:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Catch-all m-box <aer001@a1.org.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: odd mouse button behavior

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:03:39AM -0500, Louis A. Mamakos scribbled:
> | > Latest discovery: the mouse will work fine if you choose "/dev/pms0"
> | > and "auto" as mouse device and protocol type. But you have to kill
> | > "moused".
> | >
> | > Looks like XFree-4 does not like moused for some reason...
>
> Of course, you are trying to run a mouse driver on XFree86 when
> the mouse device is being used by moused.
>
> | It sounds then like some weird moused interaction.  Not using moused
> | is probably not an option for me, as I'm using a USB mouse.  But it does
> | give me a place to start looking.
>
> XFree has always had a mouse driver of its own.
> You've unearthed the original missing link's wheel prototype. :)
>
> You can modify /etc/usbd.conf to not start moused for you.
> Simply replace "/dev/psm0" in XF86Config with "/dev/ums0"

I run moused and have a working mouse with X 4. ( MS Intelli and clones )

I use
Section "Pointer"
   #Protocol        "Microsoft"
   Protocol        "auto"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

in XF86Config ( have not bothered to goto InputDevice yet! )
and a ps ax|grep mouse
  225  ??  Ss     0:09.18 moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto

Bap.