Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:38:56 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for new list

At 3:49 PM -0700 9/1/98, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> I have mixed feelings about this idea.  I can understand that it
>> probably would help freebsd to make sure press-people don't trip
>> up over something simple.  On the other hand, in some sense that
>> results in a "false review" of freebsd.  They would be reviewing
>> "freebsd with special access to top-notch help", while other users
>> would read the reviews and then have to settle for "freebsd with
>> generic help".
>
> Erm, I hate to burst your bubble but a very high percentage of
> commercial evaluations are done with direct access to tech support
> people.  If you read enough of them in detail, you'll find references
> like: "We had a little trouble at first, but so-and-so and Sun was a
> great help in explaining how to configure ..."

I realize that.  I'm just saying it never seems right when I see it.
I always think "Yeah, but what would *I* have done if I couldn't have
called so-and-so?".  On the other hand, some of those calls were for
things I wouldn't have had a problem with, and it was better to have
the reviewer call than trash the produce due to their own ignorance.

So, as I say, I have mixed feelings about it...

> this especially goes for the hardware reviews,

For some reason it rarely bothers me when done in hardware reviews.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute