Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:07:02 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

[ Once again, narrowed to freebsd-stable. ]

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Obviously it doesn't work to respond to questions in freebsd-questions
> > > (people don't read it until they run into trouble) or the newsgroup.
> > > And not everyone subscribes to -stable.  What you need is a README file
> > > that arrives with the sources and ends up in /usr/src and has the latest
> > > info on what has to be done that the make world won't do.
> >
> > Though that wouldn't have solved the login.conf problem.  I think what
> > you're really saying is that we need a better starter document that
> > covers the latest errata and any special build instructions. :)
> >
> >                                       Jordan
>
> I think I'm trying to say that the information on *how to get* the
> latest errata and any special build instructions (or whatever) needs
> to arrive with the goods; one can't expect people to pick up this
> information in some other place--on some newsgroup or mailing list.

	Yes, absolutely.

> At least, I think this has the best chance of reducing the repetitive
> questions.

	The best way to reduce repetitive questions is to start responding to
them more proactively.  We need a spot on the www page that has
someone to keep it up to date. If we can put something like this
together and advertise it in the stuff that comes with/on the CD in a
few generations we will have trained people to help themselves more (not
totally, but more). Also, it will be of tremendous help to the people
that *answer* those FAQ's on the mailing lists (especially -questions).
If we can point users to an accurate, thorough and step-by-step answer
we'll dramatically reduce the number of, "Ok, I tried that but it didn't
quite..." questions too, and reduce the load on the answerers.

> For the cdrom sets, the brochure that goes in the package should
> have a little note that says something about getting information
> that became available after the cd's were made.  This can be a
> standard location, e.g., the location of the errata.txt file on
> the web site or WC CDROM for a particular release.

	Agreed. The way I'd structure it is to have each answer in a .txt file
and make them available on the ftp site. Some sort of e-mail
autoresponder would also be nice.

> For sources obtained with cvsup, a README file that ends up in the
> one directory that has to be visited (/usr/src) that either provides
> information or directs the reader to information is all that's needed.

	You're batting 3 for 3. :) I'd like to see a /usr/src/README with
general info, and a /usr/src/README.NEW-SLICE-CODE for the really big
changes. Then of course we have to train people to read these things. :)

	Obviously we aren't going to change any of this overnight, but we can
start being more proactive about offering the info. At the same time, we
have to be more didactic about making sure people read the right lists.
I think this incident has been good in the sense that it's flushed some
of the grouse out of the weeds. Let's not panic because we've got some
feathers in the face.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest