Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:42:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail woes

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, David Daugherty wrote:

> In my log files I keep getting gethostbyaddr(192.168.1.1) errors. This box
> is a natd/router/firewall box which of course has 2 NICS (1 to cable
> modem, 1 to internal network). In my hosts file I have:
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.mydomain.net localhost
> 24.12.xxx.xxx            roosevelt.mydomain.net roosevelt
> 24.12.xxx.xxx            roosevelt.mydomain.net
>
> 192.168.1.88            reagan
> 192.168.1.28            lincoln
> 192.168.1.45            truman
>
> Do I need to have a definition for 192.168.1.1 in hosts?
> ie: 192.168.1.1           roosevelt.mydomain.net roosevelt
>     192.168.1.1           roosevelt.mydomain.net

Never been in that exact situation. What you suggest above won't hurt.

If you are running a recent sendmail 8.9.x then look at the sendmail.cf
file, specifically this entry comes to mind:

# shall we get local names from our installed interfaces?
#O DontProbeInterfaces=False

Change to True, uncomment, HUP sendmail, and watch your logs.

> David
> Software Eng. - NetManage

seen any green chameleons lately?
-bryan