Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 00:07:38 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

Tim Vanderhoek writes:

>Basically, we have this already modulo a idealisms you threw in.
>:)  Your example #2 is the meta-port concept that I mention.  A
>couple new features in bsd.port.mk would be wanted, but the major
>groundwork is laid in the existing ports system.

Well, it was the "meta-port" label that concerned me, so I'm looking
for a bit of clarification, that's all.

Rather than implement a meta-port concept, which does nothing but
bundle ports together, we add in (a) the idea that a port may not
build anything itself, and (b) the idea of dependencies in both
source *and* binary form.

For example:

	port-A		only has a list of dependencies (port-B)

	port-B		builds something itself, and also depends
			on port-B1 and port-B2

	port-B1		only available in /binary form (say it's
			a simple list of configuration files)

	port-B2		available in both /source and /binary
			form, no need to grab the /source form
			if the /binary is already present on the system

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.