Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 20:38:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        gstevens@forsythemca.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble mounting CD-ROM

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998 gstevens@forsythemca.com wrote:

> I'm unable to successfully mount a CD-ROM (actually the BSD distribution,
> disk 1, as MS-DOS) under BSD.
>
> 1) Boot sequence seems to have no trouble detecting the drive, its
> characteristics, and status.
>
> 2) Per the Handbook I ran
>
>      # sh MAKEDEV wcd0
>
> after installing BSD.   This caused files rwcd0a and rwcd0c to show up in
> /dev.  wcd0a and wcd0c were already there.

You shouldn't have to do that.

> 3) I executed the mount command as follows:
>
>      # mount -r -t   msdos   /dev/wcd0a   /cdrom
>
> 4) The following error message resulted:
>
>      atapi0.1: invalid data direction
>      wcd0: I/O error, status=51<ready,opdone,check>,error=0
>
> After this even the manual tray ejection button is disabled - I have to
> power off/power on the computer to get it to work again.

Did you check /cdrom and made sure that the CD was mounted properly?  The
CD drivers all lock the eject button to keep you from ejecting the CD
without the system knowing and causing a panic.  When you unmount the
device (with umount) the eject button will work.

Try removing the -r option, it's implied on CD devices.