Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:12:52 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        jtylor20@attbi.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports

Cortland Naegelin <jtylor20@attbi.com> wrote:

>Could people give me an idea at what are their favorite ports are and
>why. there are of what maybe 3000. I just want to get an idea as to what
>ports are interesting. I have found webmin useful to manage my system.
>Just curious.

There's about 8600 ports, actually.  As for what's interesting, pick a subject.

On my desktop machine, running RELENG_5_0 with XF86 4.2.0 and KDE 3.1, I use
sylpheed-claws, mozilla, opera, gaim, and xmms on a regular basis.  There's also
wine, acroread, grub, sudo, aterm, cvsup, and portupgrade.  Then there's all the
dependancies and other "behind the scenes" ports like image libraries, XF86
fonts and libraries, OpenGL and other rendering libraries, gnome libs, Qt, GTK,
linux_base, glib (three versions of it), sound and multimedia libraries like
esound, video decoders, and LAME, build tools like gmake, imake, expat,
autoconf, and automake, and languages including perl, python, tk/tcl, and java.

It's a really great example of desktop-use induced system bloat.  I did a make
install for 19 ports, yet there are 122 installed.  My servers don't have
anywhere near that kind of dependancy ratio.  It's not surprising other OSes
destabilize over time as users install, use, upgrade and remove software that
included support libraries.  It also shows how critical it is to not rely solely
on the installer provided with the software.