Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Pierre Robidoux <pierre_robidoux@radio-canada.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choice of OS

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Because if you learn working in one BSD, then all of them will seem
> similar to you.  I've worked with both FreeBSD and OpenBSD at home, and
> have seen a NetBSD installation.  I feel that I can install any of the
> three on my home box alone.  Try doing that with the zillions of Linux
> distributions.

Most of the Linux distributions have a highly automated install program
that doesn't need much human participation. The bad news is that--in my
experience--these automatic install programs always hang up on any unusual
hardware which the primitive FreeBSD installation can handle.

This is not to say that we should be complacent with the present FreeBSD
installation program. Apple's OS X is based on FreeBSD. While I haven't
seen it I am sure it will have a great installation program and very
likely we can hijack it without a lot of work.

If the Apple OS X installation program hangs up on oddball hardware--and
well it may because the Apple platform does not have anything like the
range of hardware available for the PC, then the answer is for FreeBSD to
have a choice of two installs, one automated and one primitive.

Paul Smith
stork@qnet.com