Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 01:28:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6 Netscape 3.04 Text Background

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 1998, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
>

> > Hello, Oh FreeBSD gurus!
> >
> > I had FreeBSD 2.2.5 installed in my computer, I had also Netscape 3.04
> > for BSD systems.   They both worked fine.
> >
> > Now, I received my new FreeBSD 2.2.6 CD set so I updated my operating
> > system.  Everything worked ok.
> >
> > BUT....
> >
> > When I updated to FreeBSD 2.2.6, text background in Netscape turned
> > to black, and text foreground turned to BLACK also! so, I could not
> > read a single word.
>
> How many colors are you running X in?  If you reinstalled X you may have
> overwritten your configuration, especially if you tuned
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.

FreeBSD 2.2.5 was running in 256 (8bits) and Netscape worked fine.
FreeBSD 2.2.6 is  running in 256 (8bits) also, and Netscape does not work.

I overwrote the configuration, I made a new one, it did not work.
I restored the old one (I had a backup), it did not work either.

I ran FreeBSD 2.2.6 in 16 bits mode also.  I did not work either.

[I mean, all these configuration had the same behaivour with Netscape]

I did not touch "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers"

My video card is a Trident 9680 and it is using the XF86_SVGA server.

Thanks Mr. White, I was told that the new version of Netscape (4.05)
works fine, I downloaded it.  It worked fine.

I found it in:

ftp://ftp11.netscape.com/pub/communicator/4.05/development/english/unix/freebsd

It worked not only in 8 bits mode, it also worked in 16 bits mode.
It looks great!

Thank you very much!

Eduardo Viruena Silva
Escuela Superior de Fisica y Matematicas
e-mail: mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx
http://michelle.esfm.ipn.mx