Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:39:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail nolonger working

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:

> Doug responded:
> > Hmm...  This shouldn't have fixed anything, as far as I can think of,
> > anyway.  What version of FreeBSD are you running?  I can't remember the
> > start of this thread anymore.  :)
>
> Sounds like Burton is not adding a default address when the PPP link
> comes up.  If you're using a single PPP link as your connection to
> the net, you need to turn off routed and modify your PPP configuration
> to add a default router through the PPP connection whenever it comes
> up.  Search the mail archives for help with this; it was discussed to
> death in Jan and Feb of this year.

FWIW, I still consider myself a newbie, but when Fetchmail was not working
I could still telnet to both servers and 'surf' the web (using lynx, I'm
still waiting for UPS to find my house to deliver Xinside). From my
limited understanding, if a route to the outside world didn't exist, then
why would everything else work, but not Fetchmail under the same
conditions?  Oh, BTW, I'm using 3.0-current (last CVSUPed date is
97.02.10.00.00.00)

> > software loaded, and it works fine.  If I remember right you were
running
> > something fairly recent, but I can't remember what.
> >
> > Still doesn't explain why it didn't work without routed...
>
> No route to the "real world."

see my comments above

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)