Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:06:09 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads Up: shutdown keyword added to 34 rc.d scripts.

One more followup, des had asked to have "faststop" in rc.shutdown
changed to just "stop," and initially I had no objection to that
change. However looking at it more closely, the only difference is this:

if [ -z "$rc_pid" ]; then
   [ -n "$rc_fast" ] && return 0
   _run_rc_notrunning
   return 1
fi

The _run_rc_notrunning function is what prints the "${name} not
running?" message, which I don't think it would be useful to do when
shutting the system down.

Doug