Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 02:38:49 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        donal@brewich.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: vm_fault problem (fwd)

Doug White shared with us:

Too bad that you don't mention what the setup used to be. What I'd
suggest, is:
    - Buy a quality motherboard, like Asus or Tyan. 'Gigabyte'
      doesn't ring a bell, but that could be just me.
    - Throw out the ISA video card and replace it with a (cheap)
      PCI one. Though I've never had any problems with FreeBSD and
      my previous ISA card, I did have them with Windows 95, together
      with an Asus P55T2P4 motherboard and a Teles S0.16/3 ISDN
      board. Still, I don't suspect that your gateway will run X,
      so perhaps it's not the cause of the problem.

My personal experience is, that the more expensive your parts, the
less problems you have. SCSI is to be prefered over IDE, though
for a gateway, that probably isn't an issue, only for a server.

Don't economize on hardware. Lost customers and wasted time are
far more expensive.

- Peter