Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 21:11:23 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VMware, one last question

>> OK, I got VMware to start, but now I can't for the life of me get it to
>> boot a raw disk. It just keeps saying Unknown disk type. I was wondering
>> if someone could send me a working Meta file (the one that it creates when
>> you try to configure a raw disk) So I could use that as a
>> reference. Thanks
>Raw disks other than CDROMs aren't working properly at the moment
I have another opinion about this.

The raw IDE disks working not so bad. And my first vmware test's was only
with raw disk. Of course the vmware need IDE identification information,
but our wdx or adx drivers doesn't have such ioctl, so I try to guess
this information from air and from disklabel.

Also I have information, that vmware don't like ad0 name, and when you
are use new atapi you must to change name (only name, not driver :) to wd0.

Also I tried character devices, such as rwd0, and vmware also don't complain
about it.
--
Vladimir Silyaev