Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:41:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RAID controllers and dirprefs

I followed with great interests the discussion and reports about
the benefits of the new dirpref code in FBSD 4.4-STABLE. We have
two machines equipted with AMI MegaRAID 1600 controllers, running
a RAID level 5. Has anyone any kind of experiences of performance boost
newfs-ing the partitions on professional RAID 5 based diskarrays?
At the moment, I try to avoid the much extra work to do to backup
all partitions and reformatting them and restoring afterwards the
filesystems without knowing whether this gives the dramatic boost
in performance as described by many others using normal harddrive
techniques.

Thanks
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)