Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:20:28 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Splitting up sysinstall for some user services..

Hi.

I was installing 2.2.2-R again yesterday, and I out of sheer boredom
started poking around some of post-install options, like adding
users/groups.

Now, I've looked at the perl4 "adduser" script, and then the "useradd"
and "groupadd" part of sysinstall, and I kinda liked the latter in terms
of easiness to use. :)

So I was thinking, wouldn't these utilities be good by themselves without
sysinstal needing to be run? I don't plan on "breaking" up sysinstall into
little modules, I was thinking more along the lines of symlinking
"adduser", "addgroup", "deluser" (I suppose you'd need that too :),
"pkg_add", "diskedit", etc.. to the sysinstall binary.
It would then check its argv[0] and if its one listed, jump straight there
and exit afterwards.

I for one practically ALWAYS use sysinstall to partition/slice up new
disks.

Also - is sysinstall meant to edit rc.conf? Its probably been answered
before, but I've noticed when the machine reboots, it doesn't know
anything about its network configuration that I gave it a while back.

Comments? If noone has any significant objections I'll start the mods
tonight and hopefully have something I can show for it by the weekend.

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would