Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:41:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nextboot(8)

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

> It has a man page and should be easy to set up by compiling biosboot
> with the option for it.  However, I project nuking it.  I'm allergic to
> magic spare sectors.  They are worse than magic builtin sectors (like
> the label sector which is sometimes in the middle of the bootstrap).

Well
I think that is something you are welcome to do as soon as you
can replace the functionality.. (better suggestions gladly accepted).
1/ nextboot refuses to write the block if it is within a slice, so
it should not be possible to clobber important info, and it's not
compulsory to use it.
2/ I need the bootblocks to MODIFY whatever is there so I can detect
failing boots and do something different next time.
3/ I do NOT trust the bootblocks to fetch that information from
the disklabel and write back a modified disklabel block. So block 2
if it's available and has the right magic numbers seems as safe
as I can get..

I have plans on nuking your diskslice code too..
as soon as I can replace it with something that works as well.. ;)
(i.e. don't hold your breath :)  we're all forced to do hacks to get
around teh PC architecture..

I have the nextboot code running on all the interjets.
that will be several thousand machines in a matter of a few months..
so it should be pretty tested soon :)

julian