Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 03:00:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org, julian@whistle.com, tlambert@primenet.com
Subject:   Re: new timeout routines

>> No-one said this wasn't possible.  It just takes additional space and
>> makes untimeout's running time non-deterministic.  I decided it was
>> an unacceptable tradeoff.
>
>How do you figure?  untimeout is now the same as it was before, or
>aren't the cookies based on a hash table?

Hash lookup is non-deterministic, since searching is required to handlle
collisions .  This wouldn't be important, since hashing is usually fast,
except for the small point about untimeout() being called from interrupt
handlers where we would prefer deterministic behaviour.  Note that hash
lookup is not required for timeout() since we don't care about duplicates.

Bruce