Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:25:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Eric A. Griff" <eric@setjmp.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sangoma Wanpipe

I am evaluating both the S508 and S508/FT1 at the present time and
have both models running on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE.  Had to add a fourth
parameter to one of the function calls in ptpipe.c to get it to compile.

They appear easy to turn up and reliable.  The PPIPEMON Windows utility
is useful with only a couple of bugs.  It has an FT1 monitor that is a
replica of a BAT FT1.  I would guess that the onboard FT1 was designed
by BAT.  Full source is available.

The primary weakness is the lack of technical support (depth, not
willingness) for FreeBSD and for this reason, we may not go further with
them.  The fbsd maintenance programs are a little buggy (ppipemon,
ft1config) and need some tweaking.  Incorrect usage can lock up a machine
instead of failing gracefully.  My message log is filling up with `Read
mailbox' messages every time the card returns a response to a query.  All
in all, probably a 95% implementation.

Incorporating the drivers into the distribution and having a FreeBSD
sponsor to maintain the patches required for new releases would go a long
way towards meeting our requirements for stable, standard, maintained
code and would certainly make this well-designed synch card more popular
in the FreeBSD community.  Plus David Mandelstam is a nice guy to do
business with.

I can furnish the diffs for 3.2-RELEASE.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio