Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:37:01 PST
From:      "Bruce Pennypacker" <bpennypacker@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Second SCSI tape drive not seen

Hi all,

We have a new Dell server that came with an on-board Adaptec AHA-7880
SCSI controler and an Archive Python DAT drive, and we've installed
FreeBSD 2.2.7 on this machine.  I've had no problems whatsoever using
this drive for the past few weeks.  The server also has an AHA-2940
controller, and we just attached a second (identical) Archive Python DAT
drive to the 2940.

When the server reboots we see both SCSI adapters being probed and both
tape drives are properly identified.  The drive on the 7880 is assigned
st0 and the one on the 2940 is assigned st1.  However, when I log in and
try to do anything with st1 I'm unable to access the device.  There are
no references to st1 in /dev, and nothing I've tried to get it to show
up has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I'm missing something
simple. (I definately do NOT claim to be a SCSI/BSD expert so please
bear with me if the answer is painfully obvious!)

-Bruce