Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:03:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@mail.HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jm7996@devrycols.edu
Subject:   Re:  Diamond Fireport SCSI

"James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com> writes:
> I considering purchasing a Diamond Fireport (I think that's what it is)
> SCSI card.  Is it supported?  If not, any recommendations on an
> inexpensive but still reliable card?

As others have said, its a Symbios based card. From the prices I saw
when I was shopping the Diamond cards were more expensive than others.
Certainly wouldn't pay more for Diamond support.

One thing to watch for when buying a SCSI card is the external
connector. Diamond used a narrow SCSI-II connector even on their
wide cards. Asus used a wide connector. Made it an easy choice
for me.

Bought an Asus SC875 for $110, which was a pretty good price a year
or two ago. If shopping for price, http://www.pricewatch.com/ yeilds
some interesting results. Tekram is another maker of Symbios SCSI
cards but watch out as not all Tekram cards are Symbios based. Have
seen prices for '875 based cards approach $80.

I also use Adaptec 2940 cards in some systems. Some with one
2940 and one '875. Without digging to the Nth percentile there is
little or no performance difference. I like the onboard format and
diagnostics of the Adaptec best (Asus SC875 has none). Am told the
Tekram Symbios cards have similar utilities as Adaptec in ROM.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)