Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:54:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working (apparently) soft-update code available.

On Fri, 13 February 1998 at 15:07:52 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> look in:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/softupdates4.tgz
>
> first extract the README and read it before extracting everything.
> this should patch cleanly against last night's -current.
>
> try a make world before and after..
> particularly,
> make /var/tmp and/or /usr/obj use softupdates.

I tried this with a "make world".  The figures are only approximate,
since I didn't time the same make world under identical conditions,
but they give a rough idea.

I have my sources mounted on drive /src, and the objects are written
to an old Conner 4 GB drive, /S.  With both of these drives mounted
async, a make world took 177 minutes.  With soft updates, it took 156.
Note that I'm still installing on /usr, which is an IDE drive with
neither async nor soft updates.

Here's the mount output after the build.  I started the build
effectively immediately after booting, so you can assume that most of
these values were 0 when the make world started.  I was, however,
doing some other things on the system.  In addition, I had /var/tmp on
/home, which wasn't mounted

/dev/wd0a on / (NFS exported, local, writes: sync 837 async 2326)
/dev/wd0s1e on /usr (NFS exported, local, writes: sync 23567 async 10110)
/dev/sd1h on /home (NFS exported, local, writes: sync 137441 async 8059)
/dev/sd2e on /S (NFS exported, local, soft-updates, writes: sync 1305 async 66484)
/dev/sd0e on /src (NFS exported, local, soft-updates, writes: sync 6 async 19466)

> for a real laugh, try timing deletion of a large directory hierarchy..

=== root@freebie (/dev/ttyp0) /usr 43 -> time rm -fr /usr/obj 2>/dev/null

real    0m0.179s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.012s

Is that what I should have seen?

I'm going to do some more comparisons, including another 'make world'
with /var/tmp on /S, and again with neither async nor soft updates.
It'll take a while :-)

Greg