Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:09:01 -0400
From:      Richard Costine <rjc@n2k.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD as a router

> >From the ethernet side, does anybody know of a maximum number of PCI 10/100
> > network interfaces that FreeBSD could possibly support? I currently am using
> > 3com 3c905 10/100 network cards. Therotically a single PCI bus could support
> > multiple cards easily.

> No problems from the FreeBSD side.  It depends on if your PCI bus can
> take that many busmastering devices.

Agreed. The bus (speed and number of devices) is turning out to be the
limiting factor for these pentia - we're migrating what hasn't been
assimilated into the Microsoft collective to Sun UltraSparcs and E3000
class boxes just for that reason. Anyway, we have a FreeBSD router with
three 100BaseTX ethernet cards on our inside net, and it works good.
Then again, the nets that it connects to are nowhere near maxxed-out in
terms of bandwidth. While it was putting the box together I wanted to
see just how many ethernet cards I could get to work in one machine. I
had some ISA 10BaseT cards laying around, so I threw two of them in and
reconfigured the kernel. The fourth PCI slot was used for a SCSI card
and the other ISA slot had a VGA card in it. I booted the machine and
had a true, five-assed, FreeBSD router! I eventually removed the other
two ISA cards when I placed the machine into production.

In terms of reliability, I'd put it against any of the Netblazers that
we used to have in here (those buggers would crash every couple of days,
the FreeBSD box hasn't been rebooted in weeks), and would rank it
slightly less reliable than a Cisco - only because the machine contains
more moving parts (ie. disk to crash). As far as throughput, it ain't
gonna be a Cisco, the current crop of Ciscos are using MIPS processors
and have an IOS that's geared to pump packets. You'll have to do your
own benchmarks, with your own environment. You may end up needing a
small Cisco to actually do the job.