Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:52:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Ken Hansen <khansen@njcc.com>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: diskless 100 Mbit - IntelEtherexpress - Q

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Ken Hansen wrote:
> <snip>
> BTW I believe Sun has droped support for true diskless workstations,
> in stead they have CacheFS clients, where the machine boots off the
> server, but keeps a cache of NFS files accessed on a local HD - that
> drive is cleared on reboot.

well, time to dust off my autocacher mention once again. FWIW, there is a
public domain cachefs equivalent I wrote in 1989 (i.e. pre-cachefs) which
could be used to do this. It's based on amd. source and the paper on my
web page at
www.sarnoff.com:8000/metacomputing.html

yes, the code needs work. But it did in fact work, six years ago ...
if anyone has the time (I don't) it could be neat to have this going.

ron