Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:02:15 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Wolfgang" <jonwolfgang@attbi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   arp reports changing mac - dead network

Hi everyone,
I recently subscribed to at&t cable internet service and I am
experiencing some difficulty.  I'm running 4.7-Stable on a
machine that is running as a firewall and performing NAT for a
windows box.  Throughout the day as I'm connected, the kernel reports

arp: <gateway ip> moved from ##:##:##:##:##:a8 to ##:##:##:##:##:54 on dc1

and then back from :54 to :a8.  From reading through past posts,
I'm assuming that this is because at&t has some funky switching
router setup.

The problem that is occurring is that sometimes, my outside
connection completely stops.  I can't ping the gateway or anything
else external.  The LAN connection is fine.  If I reset the
connection doing

>ifconfig dc1 down
>ifconfig dc1 up

I immediately get an arp response similiar to the one listed above
and the network connection is restored.  This problem usually occurs
overnight when the computer is idle, but sometimes it happens when
I'm doing some surfing.  Sometimes it happens several times per day,
and other times I can go a week without seeing the symptom.  I'm using
a Linksys LNE100TX NIC card and a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem.

If anyone could please give me some advice or point me in the direction of
some tools that could help me find the solution, I would greatly
appreciate it.  If you would like anymore information, please ask.

Thank you very much,
Jon