Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:33:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP on modem as router to home network?

Ok, situation:

    I have a FreeBSD 2.1.6 box at home, it auto-dials in
    I run the FreeBSD box which is the dialup server
    I allocate all IP addresses etc for our network.
    I also have a mac connected to the freebsd box at home,
      through an ethernet card and TCP/IP (altho I'm going
      to also likely put a appletalk package on it as well).

What I want is to allow the mac to route through the PC over the modem and
to the internet, so both systems can have internet access at the same
time, through the same modem.  I can think of a few ways to do this, none
of which would be easy or work with the current setup.  When my home
system dials the work system and fires up it does so with:

/usr/sbin/pppd -detach crtscts modem :x.x.x.x

Where x.x.x.x is setup as:

arp -s 206.81.134.222 00:80:29:e9:1a:58 pub

Off of the top of my head, it would seem like the best solution would be
to get the pppd to simply handle two ip addresses to the same interface,
and handle everything on the client end 'some how'.  Unfortunately, I know
not how this would be accomplished :)

I've also considered having the home unix box proxy to the mac, and run
the local network off the 192.168.* addresses.  Unfortunately, I do not
know how the 'proxy' would work either, as it would seem like the ppp
interface from the server would still need two addresses..

-Brandon Gillespie