Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:56:27 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Instability between NFS v2 and v3 issues?

Hi folks,

I have a question...

Operating environment is -current.

There are several NFS servers and clients involved.

We have found that with the default options for the mount (which I presume
defaults to NFS V3) the system will sometimes get into an odd state where a
file which is removed on one client *NEVER* goes away on another.  That is,
the following is a dangerous thing to do:

mv file1 file2
cp xxx file1

To replace a file.

If you do that, on machine #2, which also mounts the same disk, you may
NEVER see file1 go away and get replaced.

This is obviously screwed up!

I'm assuming that the client and server are negotiating NFS V3 by default
(we are running FreeBSD on both client and server).

If I force V2 protocol, then I get a different problem -- random hangs
without any error message being displayed or otherwise made known.

That is, I get a random hang of the transfer; it just stops in a "D" wait,
is unkillable, and there is no fix other than a reboot.

Anyone seen either of these and have any ideas?  The hangs in protocol
version 2 are against kernels all compiled within the last month; the odd V3
behavior is against servers which have a kernel that is 2-3 months old.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal