Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:54:42 -0400
From:      Mike Patterson <mpatters@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with buildkernel, RELENG_4

For the last week or so, I've been having trouble building kernels against a
RELENG_4 source tree.  A 'make buildkernel' from /usr/src fails as follows:

perl5 /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl -h /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src
syntax error at /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl line 135, near "{}"
Execution of /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl aborted due to compilation
errors.
*** Error code 255

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ODAA_IPF.
*** Error code 1

I've kept an eye on this list for similar errors, and nobody's been
complaining about the same thing that I could see, and a google search for
vnode_if only came up with some problems with said perl script in January.
I get errors even using the GENERIC conf, so it can't be my kernel
configuration file.  I moved my /usr/src out of the way and re-cvsupped,
with the same results.  This problem first came up for me Monday morning
(Eastern), if that helps any; a build last week went with no problems.

My make.conf is pretty simple:
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE= true
NOUUCP= true

I've cvsupped several times this week in the hopes that I just caught the
tree in the middle of a commit, but no joy.

My cvsup config:

*default tag=RELENG_4
*default host=cvsup2.ca.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix
src-all

I'm now at a loss, can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Mike

--
Mike Patterson - UWaterloo - ODAA - x6986 - mpatters@uwaterloo.ca
I don't speak for UW because I don't like them speaking for me.