Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 08:46:42 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aha1542 - again...

I am about to add a 1542B to my current system and want to know about
the bounce buffer issue.

How do I tell whether the device I'm adding does DMA ?
Do the probe messages tell me ?

It's an ISA card and its an Adaptec 1542B so I assume being a SCSI card
it will do DMA so I suppose I should include BOUNCE_BUFFERS since I have
32MB RAM on this P100.

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 1998 at  0:07:15 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read a while ago there were problems with the existing AHA1542 support
> > on -current... I also read that someone (I can't remember now who it was)
> > said they'd been through the code and fixed up a few things...
> >
> > As I remember it was a problem to do with bounce buffers...
> >
> > I've just had to add a 1542CF to my machine (as I'm out PCI slots and it
> > was 'hanging around'), and I've run into problems with it - but I'm not
> > sure there to do with bounce buffers etc.
> >
> > I know CAM is looking almost 'immanent' - but can anyone confirm whether
> > the 1542 driver is in any useable state in -current at the moment?
>
> I'm developing vinum on a -CURRENT machine with a 1542B.  I had
> trouble with a 1542A, which appears to be a known problem (a number 0f
> 0xff bytes strewn at regular intervals, usually 32K), but the 1542B is
> working fine.
>
> > I have 2 x Double-Speed CD-ROM drives hooked up to it, I wouldn't have
> > thought they were particularly 'stressy' for the driver ;-)
>
> Do you have problems?  You'll need bounce buffers for any ISA DMA
> device if you have more than 16 MB memory.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Corporate Information Systems                 Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537
 Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Salisbury
 PO Box 1500 Salisbury South Australia 5108