Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:35:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "JSMolinaro" <JSMolinaro@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File Transfer

JSMolinaro <JSMolinaro@hotmail.com> types:

You tend to get better results from freebsd-questions if you set your
mailer to send plain text, and not HTML or - as you did - both.

> - ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C0783C.92604F10
>
> This may not be a specific question for FreeBSD support but maybe you =
> can help.  I am trying to get started transfering FreeBSD to my pc using =
> CuteFTP and certain files show the windows icon and "open with" =
> diaglogue.
>
> For example, ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/ on my browser and my cuteFTP window =
> Is-Ir and README both as a window icon that open to the windows' "open =
> with" diaglogue.  That is preventing me from transfering the FreeBSD =
> release to my pc.
>
> I understand you are not a windows support group but I am trying to =
> gradually get as independant of windows as I can so please try and give =
> me some direction.

They are flat text files. You will be able to open them in NotePad. If
CuteFTP lets you set it, you need to transfer them as ASCII files, not
binary, or the lines won't be properly terminated on Windows.

If you can't set binary/ascii with CuteFTP, you're probably going to
have to get a more capable FTP client to install FreeBSD.

	<mike