Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:46:41 +0000
From:      "Richard Lyon" <rlyon@oznet02.ozemail.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What hardware is required for XFree

Hi,

I am considering running X windows. My objective is to run
emacs, gcc and a motif-like manger for x application development.

What sort of hardware configuration should I be considering. I
currently run version 2.1 on the following:

- 33 MHz 486
- 16 MB Ram
- Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller
- Conner 200 MB drive
- Sony CDROM
- Tseng Labs Mega VGA
- Compucon monitor capable of displaying 800x600 pixels with 256
  colours.

I am not looking at developing applications which will require high
resolution graphics.

Is 16 MB really enough?

How much hard disk space should I be looking at? With version 2.1 I
have about 50 MB spare after I have installed all my favourite
applications (pine, lynx, rtin, popclient and my feeble efforts).

Is the 486 33MHz really fast enough. It runs well with version 2.1.
Most of the applications I have written are for numericial
approximations (ie digital filter design, complex chebyshev approx, etc..). I now
want to develop GUI based front ends for data entry and display of results.

Regards ...