Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 01:03:06 -0700
From:      dive <dive@ender.com>
To:        Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should IPFilter be pulled from FreeBSD as well

I don't know if its my particular setup that makes ipnat faster, or just the fact that with
ipnat the NAT is done in the kernel not in a daemon - I haven't tested ipnat vs. natd on
any other setup yet since I just started using ipnat.
my setup is: a FreeBSD server (Celeron 533mhz, 256MB ram) with a dual port 100TX network
adapter (thunderlan chipset, compaq card tho), a cable modem which is connected to one port,
and my internal LAN which consists of a NetBSD machine, a FreeBSD laptop, and a 'doze box.
I'm using ipnat on the freebsd server to give the lan net access through the cable modem,
and i've been comparing ipnat / natd by downloading a file from  the internet to one of the
The client machines  with the server running natd, and then downloading it with the server
using ipnat. so far with both the netbsd box and freebsd laptop it seems to work faster
with ipnat than natd, haven't tried it from the windows box 'cause I hate that thing ;)

I've never had natd bog down anything, but I've had it sit at the top of top (no pun intended)
and eat 60-90% cpu before while multiple LAN machines were downloading through it.