Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:14:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, dgy@rtd.com, helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd driver questions

It seems that Terry Lambert said:

> > >As far as I could decipher from the driver code (wd.c) the probed geometry
> > >is used only to read the label.
> >
> > No, the probed geometry is used for everything in the driver.
>
> Why are we using a probed geometry insted of the geometry reported
> from the INT 0x13 call in the boot blocks?  The idea that the drive
> could be INIT'ed to a different geometry is valid.

This is the heart of the "problem" that I was discussing.  My disks,
for example, are INITed by the system ROMs to a particular geometry.
*Then* the probe (actually, the attach()) queries the drive
and reINITs the drive for the *default* drive geometry (which, in
my case, is very different from the "BIOS" geometry.

See my followup (long) post on this...
--don