Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:54:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement dongle for 3C589?

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > >Having just recovered my laptop after having had it stolen, I need to
> > >replace the dongle off the 3C589.  I seem to recall stories about how
> > >hard this is - what experiences have people had with this?
> > >Anyone have a spare? 8)

I have a spare RJ45 cable for a 3C589A/B  (having mis-typed the product
code when attempting to order one for my 3C589_C_).  You are welcome
to it if it happens to be what you wanted.

The RJ45 ones (both flavours) are quite cheap; the BNC ones are about
4 times the price (GBP 13 / GBP 48).

> > 	However, the attachment cable costs almost $50, and brand-new
> > 	ne2000-compatible PCMCIA card costs $70.  Which do you choose? :-)
>
> Hmm.  Not so cheap here.  Prices in Australian Dollars; which of these
> would you recommend for adventure?
>
> NewMedia	$159 (BNC, TP)
> Hypertec	$149 (BNC, TP)
> D-Link		$138 (TP)
> Alloy		$139 (BNC, TP)
> Eagle		$119 (TP)
> Socket		$119 (TP)
> Topware		$139 (BNC)

Are you sure all of these are NE2000 compatible?  I have a NewMedia
"livewire" card, which has AMD 79C940 chipset (having read the datasheet
and discovered that it's completely different to the 79C960, I have
given up on this one).  I also have an Eagle NE200 - despite its
seductively similar partnumber, this is _not_ NE2000 compatible.
It has the Fujitsu MB86960 chipset; a quick attempt to make it go with
the "fe" driver didn't work, though I haven't yet exhausted the
configuration possibilities here (also, I may have broken it while
prising off the lid to determine the chipset).

> (I haven't called 3Com, if indeed they have an Australian spares agent.)

The cables are available ex-stock from ordinary retail suppliers over here.