Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:33:27 -0800
From:      "Patrick Soltani" <psoltani@ultradns.com>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: putty and 4.4-stable

Hi,
Make sure sshd is running on the FreeBSD box; use the ps -waxu | grep -i
sshd command.
from your NT box type the following command: telnet
IP.ADDRESS.OF.FREEBSD.BOX 22 and hit enter.
You should get something like below line:
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20010713

If not, then your sshd is not responding, if yes, then your putty needs
to be adjusted in terms of its configuration; check the Compression,
Encryption, etc.

Before you try using the keys, try the simple password method, once that
worked, you can go ahead and add the Keys, etc.

Finally, you will get more info when you report the actual error, error
message, anything at all.

Good luck and regards,
Patrick Soltani.