Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:24:24 +0000
From:      Simon Siemonsma <s.siemonsma@hccnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE2.2.2 starts-up terrible slow

Recently I upgraded my system to KDE2.2.2. Since then KDE starts-up terrible
slow. Furthermore sometimes it freezes for some time, to continue later on.

I performed the following actions:
-did a complete reinstall (version 4.3)
-installed XFree86-4 as a package
-installed KDE2.2.2 as a package
-synchronised my source to FreeBSD 4.4
-make world
-make buildkernel and make installkernel
It still has the same problem.

Configuration
-As my machine is only used at home I have as services turned of as possible
-I use IPFW
-I use netgraph to access the internet (ADSL)

To me it looks like as if it is looking for something at 127.0.0.1:111.

Can someone please help me out, I don't understand it anymore.

If I start KDE with startx >stout 2>errout I get the following messages on my
console:
Dec 26 13:34:51 PII-350 /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:111 from
127.0.0.1:1860
Dec 26 13:35:24 PII-350 last mesage repeated 7 times.
Dec 26 13:35:48 same as first line
This is repeated with 1860 replaced with 1861 till 1864

errout contains the following at the end:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing
from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing
from list!
DCOPServer up and running.
kdeinit: setgroups: Operation not permitted
kdeinit: setgroups: Operation not permitted
kdeinit: setgroups: Operation not permitted
kicker: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter) 9
  Major opcode:  14
kicker: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window
parameter) 9
  Major opcode:  14
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  7 (X_ReparentWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x160000f
  Serial number of failed request:  24683
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still
9 object references alive.
  - Arts::SampleStorage
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_MULTI_ADD
  - Arts::Synth_PLAY
  - Arts::StereoVolumeControl
  - Arts::StereoEffectStack
  - Arts::Synth_BUS_DOWNLINK
  - Arts::SoundServerV2
  - Arts::MidiManager
warning: leaving MCOP Dispatcher and still 69 types alive.

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.

Simon Siemonsma