Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:13:10 +0000
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Louis" <stlouislouis@charter.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about xfree86 version and FreeBSD

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:58:54 -0600
"Louis" <stlouislouis@charter.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't find the answer to this question in your docs:
>
> What version of your software includes xfree86 4.1.0 or higher as the
> default version of xfree86 available during install?

None, only 3.3.6 is installed by default.

> I use a Matrox
> G450.  I was not able to get xfree86 installed on my system
> post-install.

What are the error messages? Provide a bit more info please.

> I'm a newbie.  For some reason, the cvsup without gui package I
> downloaded via ftp and installed with pkg_add after my 4.5 release
> install doesn't seem to work either.

Again, you need to provide details.

> So basically, I'm not able to learn FreeBSD yet using the GUI.  So for
> now, I'm stuck learning *nix using Linux instead of FreeBSD.  Help!
>
> I downloaded 4.5 release.  It installed OK without gui, but I want to
> use FreeBSD as both a server and as a desktop with Gnome or KDE; so I
> need xfree86 4.1.0 to work with my video card.

use sysinstall -
/stand/sysinstall
to install XFree86 4.
The handbook has an excellant chapter on just this subject. Make sure
you read it and follow it exactly, you will get it working.

--
Chip W
www.wiegand.org