Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:02:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@iet.unipi.it, jmg@FreeBSD.ORG, kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, iwasaki@pc.jaring.my
Subject:   Re: pcm device has a conflict with FreeBSD(98)? (Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd

> Hi.
> I've just found that another pcm device driver is in
> /sys/i386/isa/sound/pcm86.c which is for FreeBSD(98).
> Does it cause any problems for FreeBSD(98)?
> IIRC, config command of FreeBSD(98) has different behavior from
> original one, and architecture depending codes were separated into
> /sys/i386 and /sys/pc98. However, I'm not sure whether config of 98
> version can handle it well if the pcm device is specified in kernel
> configuration file.

probably it does not give problems since the only reference to this
other pcm device is in  /sys/pc98/conf/files.pc98 as you mention.

I am sorry for the name clash. If someone has a better name I have no
objection. I have picked up "pcm" because "snd" was already in use (and
to be honest, the old sound driver really pollutes the name space with
all these different devices).

The following reasons suggest that the name for the new sound driver be
changed:

   * pc98 pcm was there before

The following reasons suggest that the name for the PC98 pcm device
is changed:

   * a potentially smaller user base for the PC98 than for the new sound
     driver;
   * the new sound driver is meant to have a single device, named "pcm"
     (or whatever) which incorporates the functionalities of all
     subdevices; so "sb", "wss", "gus", "trix", etc are going to
     disappear anyways;

The actual name has not much importance in both cases since it
is really a name known only to the kernel (and the config file),
there is no other reference in user space or in usual device names.

I do not lean for any of the two solutions, provided the new name is
reasonable and reminds the functionality of the device
(i.e. I would not like to call it "yapcm"!)

	Cheers
	Luigi