Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:00:22 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help required - DSL Implementation

Hi users,
I'm looking for some help with DSL implementation.
I come from a country where DSL is quite new and not supported by our
Telco provider - who happens to be a monopoly. So far I've only been able
to implement bridging using DSL eqpt (RAD ASMi31 and ASMi50, Zyxel
Prestige 128L, Westell eqpt..). Those seem to be the most common ones in
use here.
The discussions I've seen in this list have more than influenced me to get
to know about how it is implemented out there - Europe/US. What I am much
interested in is the understanding that you can use DSL via your normal
telephone line!!! Okay I've also gathered that there is a filter used for
this. What I'm confused about is whether you incur any bills to your Telco
provider when you're using DSL???? In my country if I were to use that
line for DSL (I'm not sure) I would think that the system here being PSTN
- I would be like using my telephone to make a call and as such I'll have
to pay up to my Telco provider the same way I pay when making a phone
call. Is this the same in your scenarios?
When I read that you can still rcv your phone calls/faxes while the DSL is
live online I just get mesmerized! Would anyone enlighten me abit?

I also gather that in the US (not so much idea about Europe;-)) whenever
you make a local call it is FREE, that only long distance (outside
local) are charged. How much is this true? But I am more interested in a
typical DSL implementation using a typical device like a Cisco 675. What
is the physical range of this device, in km? Currently I am having a Zyxel
Prestige 128L on my desk and I'm made to understand that it is only
efficient upto about 6km on a 4-wire circuit (we call them leased lines
here). What would the CISCO 675 take? 11km? I know I'll probably need to
go to cisco.com and look for this but I need first hand info on a working
situation.

Would it be possible for me to use DSL over my normal phone line (behind
the back of ny Telco provider) if I bought the filter or there must be an
arrangement between my ISP and the local Telco provider (owner of
PSTN) for this to work??? I'm assuming that my ISP already has agreed that
I can pay for DSL service ;-).

  ____                    *********          ^^^^^^
 |____|----------()-------* Telco * ---------^ISP ^ --->Internet
                Filter    *********          ^^^^^^
  My PC
  with DSL

Is this really possible without the Telco guys fitting some special switch
at their office to enable my DSL connection get to my ISP??

Other than giving me answers, I'll also not mind getting pointers to some
clearly illustrated reading material...I'm in a third world country guys,
sorry if I seem outdated with technology.

All advise will be HIGHLY appreciated.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is
giving me that which you need more than I do. -Kahlil Gibran, "Sand and Foam"