Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:13:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recommended MTA

Hi Scott,

I can tell you without a doubt that sendmail works.. I can also tell you
that postfix works, and that qmail works. I remember learning sendmail,
however, and cursing at the configuration. Years later, I still curse at
sendmail configuration. :-)

I still use sendmail and postfix on my systems, and brush with qmail only
occasionally lately.

Sendmail is good because it is pretty much guaranteed to be available on
any UNIX system you come across. If you are going after an admin career,
you will need to know sendmail, and I suspect this requirement will
persist for quite a few years.

If, on the other hand, this is for your own projects, you can safely
ignore sendmail and go with something that's easier to manage.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon