Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 08:31:59 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Perl to sh script

Hello.

I'm trying to write the following script (with no success, of course):

Script name: internet

Accepted parameters: ON or OFF

if call is internet on or internet ON :

    check if ppp -alias -auto isp   is running
    if not, call ppp -alias -auto isp

if call is internet off or internet OFF:
    check if ppp -alias -auto ips is running
    get PID
    kill process
    exit

I've found something that might help me in the list archives, but it seems
to be in perl and I, for several reasons, wouldn't like to install perl
support, so I'm attempting to make something similar in a sh script.

Could someone help me AND point a (or some) good link to learn shell
programing ?

******* script found:   *************

#!/usr/bin/perl

$PPPcommand="ppp -alias -auto mpc"

open(InPipe, " ps
-xa|");

#make sure ppp is not running
for( <InPipe>) {
        $thisProc =
$_;
        $thisProc =~ /([0-9]+).+\b[0-9]+\b\s(.*)$/;
        # $1 is
PID; $2 is process name
        $PID = $1; $NAME = $2;

        if (