Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm and FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have successfully download the FreeBSD 4.0 ISO-image, burnt a CDROM and
> installed it on my computer.
>
> While trying to setup "xdm" I found that it is not difficult to configure
> "xdm". The session tries to start but immediately stops and the
> "login/password" window is displayed again.

You need to add a file in your home directory, called '.xsession', and
make it mode 700.  Treat this as your startup script--put all the programs
you need to run for you X Window session here (start with an xterm or two,
and run your window manager at the end of the list).

I wrote an article on setting up XDM which appeared in the January 2000
edition of Daemon News, at
<http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/xdm.html>.  If you have any questions,
don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Cheers,