Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:14:01 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        skesterson@travelnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 RC2 SMP hangs during boot on HP ProLiant DL380

Samuel Kesterson (skesterson@travelnow.com) wrote:

>Thus spake Holger Kipp (Holger.Kipp@alogis.com) [2003-03-17 10:55] :
>
>> I just downloaded 4.8RC2 and recompiled with SMP and APIC enabled.
>> Instead of 4 CPUs (2 XEON with HT) only two are recognized and the
>> system hangs after initialising the second CPU

>I have RC2 running on 2 HP Proliant DL360 with SMP and APIC enabled.
>One is merrily chewing up the jdk14 build as we speak. Standard questions
>apply. Do you have the current BIOS installed, etc. Also, a dmesg might
>be nice to help figure out what's going on.

As I wrote in my other mail, enabling option HTT helped. Maybe I should have
known better as I did notice some of the messages about HTT. Oh, these are
G3 DL360 / 380 with dual Xeon 2.8GHz and of course HT.

>If I might be so bold ... why are you running an RC on production
>systems? :)

Uh - aehm - actually, I'm running 4.7-STABLE from 14.02.2003. I just
happened to use 4.8-RC2 (iso-image) for installing another of those servers
and then went back to the tested 4.7-STABLE.
Afaik RC is still 'STABLE', although experience has it that especially during
the time of codefreeze (and one or two weeks before and after) the stability
of STABLE is slightly less so (best is usually a few weeks past RELEASE <g>).

Apart from that, the usual reasons apply ;-)

Regards,
Holger