Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 08:16:39 -0600
From:      "Michael A. Dorin" <mad@adc.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help!  I can't get freebsd to install from a DOS partition

Help!

I'm have severial problems getting freebsd to install from
a DOS partition.

First time through it says it can't find the partition.

Second time, going through the same steps, it finds it and copies
lots of stuff over, but says it can't copy some root files.

Third time through it gets totally lost.

I want to start over from the beginning.

I have a Pentium P75, CD-ROM on a parallel port.
However a new CD ROM will be arriving today.
A 6xToshiba SCSI with an adaptec controller.

The chipset is a pentium triton chipset.
The HD is a conner 1.2 gig drive.
(IDE from the mother board, there are no other IDE boards on
the board)

1) Is there known problems using the builtin IDE controller on the
motherboard?
2) What are the exact steps I should take?  What has to be setup in the
    options section?

My understanding is that this should work from a Triton chipset
motherboard.
It should work with IDE Drives.
The CDRom I am getting is SCCI.

I just want some more detailed information on what to try. Please.

Thank you very much for your help.

-Michael Dorin
 612-946-3184