Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:52:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pattersonj@vncgate1.vnc.aetc.af.mil (Jim Patterson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions concerning Free BSD

> I have the 2.0 (Jan 1994) release of Free BSD.  I have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a later/better release of this product?

Yes.  November 1995.  2.1.0, just released.  There is also 2.0.5,
which was released halfway in between.

> 2.  How would I decompress any of the files using a DOS/Windows machine
> so that the source code could be viewed in a word processor.  I
> am particularly interested in the source code for the kernel.

Cat the images together into a single gzip image and untar them.

Under DOS, you can:

	COPY BINDIST.* ALL.GZ

And either use GNU tar to read the file, or gunzip to unzip it,
and one of the windows tar programs.  Beware of the relative root.

Or if you have some disk and a network card, boot the single install
floppy and install it, login as root, and cd /usr/src.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.