Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 00:14:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

On 2002-05-08 17:20, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Of course, I also expect the old guard to fight this tooth and nail
> with lots of dire predictions as to what will happen if anyone under
> 30 gets into core or why only a long and hoary track-record truly
> qualifies one for the job.  As an old guardsman myself, I say ``bah!''
> to that sort of self-serving "logic" since we've already proven over
> the last two rounds that experienced people are more than capable of
> making mistakes or being blind to all the relevant signs and portents
> when things are going off the rails.  Even if it came with a penalty
> of inexperience and beginner's mistakes, I wouldn't mind the fresh
> energy and enthusiasm that a totally new slate would bring.  It's not
> like those of us in 1992 were entirely blessed with loads of
> experience at doing this when we started and look what we managed to
> create.

This is the kind of optimism that makes FreeBSD a nice place to be
around.  I thought about not replying, since I am one of those young
and enthusiastic inexperienced beginners that are mentioned, but IMHO
everyone should read carefully what's said above.

FreeBSD is developed by a team of people who have managed to work
together since 1992, and by all the users who have devoted their time
and efforts in making it better every day.  Everyone who has
contributed to this deserves to be proud of what has been
accomplished.  I mean, look at what we have.  A complete UNIX-like
operating system, along with the sources to everything, that is among
the most popular and widely used UNIX systems in the world today.

I don't know if I'm being too proud here, but it is fun to be a part
of the team.  And it's not like Mike has left the team.  He just
thinks that he no longer enjoys having to do the work of -core.  This
means that we should be both happy and sad.  Sad because he has served
developers and users of FreeBSD alike by being part of the team that
gives a vision and focus to FreeBSD, but is no longer.  Happy for him
because now he will hopefully have more time to spare for other things
he might find more fun to work with.

I also think that this is what Sheldon was trying to say.  I could be
wrong, but pffff let's all give it a break.  Much has been done and a
lot has been achieved.  We should spend out time trying our best to
make more things happen.  Where everyone feels that they will be more
useful and still have tons of enjoying & a good time.

- Giorgos

PS: Oh, and before I forget...

  __  __   _   _
 |  \/  | (_) | |__  ___